Jake Dixon snatches pole in Oulton Park qualifying
Jake Dixon snatched pole position at Oulton Park ahead of Race 1 in the Showdown weekend.
The closest Showdown in British Superbikes history will line up on the grid with five-time champion Shane Byrne in second and Josh Brookes in third.
Dixon, riding for RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki, left it late in Q3 to set the top time but showed why many regard him as a dark horse to take the title at just 21 years of age.
Byrne also made a late leap up the standings, finishing 0.124secs off the lead, with 2015 champion Brookes also pushing Dan Linfoot off the front row in the dying moments.
Race One is at 1.35pm on Sunday, with Race 2 at 4.35pm. The final two Showdown rounds are in Assen (29th September – 1st October) and Brands Hatch (13-15th October).
1. Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) 1m:33.959s
2. Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.124s
3. Josh Brookes (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) +0.150s
4. Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +0.158s
5. Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.195s
6. John Hopkins (Moto Rapido Ducati) +0.363s
7. Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.413s
8. Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +0.691s
9. Tommy Bridewell (Team WD-40 Kawasaki) +0.881s
The Title Fighters
1. SHANE BYRNE - BE WISER DUCATI: 532 points
2. LEON HASLAM - JG SPEEDFIT KAWASAKI: 526
3. JOSH BROOKES - ANVIL HIRE TAG YAMAHA: 522
4. JAKE DIXON - RAF REGULAR AND RESERVES KAWASAKI: 518
5. PETER HICKMAN - SMITHS RACING BMW: 509
6. JASON O'HALLORAN - HONDA RACING: 503