Shane Byrne takes pole position at Snetterton with record time
Shane Byrne took top spot in qualifying for Round 5 of the British Superbikes Championship at Snetterton with a record time at the circuit.
In the first Superpole of the season – where the top nine riders from the first two qualifying sessions go head to head with a solo flying lap – the Be Wiser Ducati rider saw off competition from James Ellison, by clocking an incredible time of 1:46.024.
It came after the 40-year-old had already set an superb lap time of 1:46.863 in Q2.
Luke Mossey leads the championship by 30 points from JG Kawasaki team-mate Leon Haslam, with five-time champion Byrne in third on 90 points.
There are two races on Sunday, with Byrne - an eight-time winner at the circuit - hot favourite to win and close the gap on the Kawasakis.
1. Luke Mossey (JG SPEEDFIT KAWASAKI): 141
2. Leon Haslam (JG SPEEDFIT KAWASAKI): 111
3. Shane Byrne (BE WISER DUCATI): 90
4. Christian Iddon (TYCO BMW): 86
5. Jason O'Halloran (HONDA RACING): 83
6. Josh Brookes (ANVIL HIRE TAG YAMAHA): 78
7. Peter Hickman (SMITHS RACING BMW): 74
8. Jake DIxon (RAF REGULAR AND RESERVES KAWASAKI): 66
9. Glenn Irwin (BE WISER DUCATI): 63
10. James Ellison (MCAMS YAMAHA): 51