Peter Sagan takes overall lead in Eneco Tour after dramatic photo finish sprint
Peter Sagan took the overall lead after winning the fourth stage of the Eneco Tour on Thursday.
Slovak, Sagan, overpowered Kristoff to take the lead with Greipel soaring from behind to very nearly take victory for himself.
Speaking after the race, Sagan said: “There are some riders who are not happy [with the final sprint]. I didn’t know I won because it was a very close sprint with Andre and I had to wait for the final results. I’m very happy because it was another sprint with very good timing.
“I had a little problem with Demare,” he acknowledged, adding “but that is sprinting. If I did something bad, I’m sorry, but I don’t think I did.
“I was in my line and he was very aggressive to me.”
Stage Four results
1. Peter Sagan (Slovakia / Tinkoff) 4:42:12"
2. Andre Greipel (Germany / Lotto) ST
3. Alexander Kristoff (Norway / Katusha)
4. Arnaud Demare (France / FDJ)
5. Dylan Groenewegen (Netherlands / LottoNL)
6. John Degenkolb (Germany / Giant)
7. Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (South Africa / Dimension Data)
8. Amaury Capiot (Belgium / Topsport Vlaanderen)
9. Giacomo Nizzolo (Italy / Trek)
10. Luka Mezgec (Slovenia / Orica)
Tour classification after Stage Four
1. Peter Sagan (Slovakia / Tinkoff) 13:17:29"
3. Jos van Emden (Netherlands / LottoNL) +12"
4. Andriy Grivko (Ukraine / Astana) +20"
5. Jasha Suetterlin (Germany / Movistar) +21"
7. Wilco Kelderman (Netherlands / LottoNL) +22"
8. Matthias Braendle (Austria / IAM Cycling)
9. Primoz Roglic (Slovenia / LottoNL) +23"
10. Taylor Phinney (U.S. / BMC Racing)