Official: Bayern Munich sack Carlo Ancelotti
Carlo Ancelotti has been sacked following Bayern Munich’s humiliating 3-0 loss to Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League on Wednesday night.
Multiple reports - including the well-sourced Bild - indicated that Bayern decided to sack Ancelotti after holding crisis talks following their return to the German captial
Rory Smith of the New York Times reported that an official announcement was expected later on Thursday.
Chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge spoke after the PSG defeat and said, ominously:
" It was a very bitter defeat. A defeat which must be talked about, which must be analyzed, and from which we must draw consequences. I think what we saw tonight wasn't Bayern Munich. It's important that we turn the tide quickly and present ourselves as Bayern Munich. And then also to show that we're a team that has made a splash in Europe and nationally over the last years, and to return to that."
Bayern chairman Uli Hoeness was thought to have want Ancelotti gone, but until recently, Rummenigge had been supportive of the Italian, who was appointed in the summer of 2016 to replace Pep Guardiola.
The result meant Bayern are level with Celtic on three points from two matches in Group B, three points behind leaders PSG, while Bayern are currently third in the Bundesliga having dropped points twice already in six games
What next? Sagnol and Tuchel?
Thomas Tuchel vom BVBGetty Images
Ancelotti's assistant Willy Sagnol takes over on an interim basis for now, but Sportbild says that Thomas Tuchel, unemployed after being sacked as Borussia Dortmund manager last season, will be a contender for the full-time job as Rummenigge is known to be an admirer.
However, Hoffenheim's 30-year-old boss Julian Nagelsmann will also surely be part of the conversation, having masterminded Bayern's only Bundesliga defeat of the season and recently admitted in an interview with Eurosport that he would want the job.