Man City march on with League Cup win over Swansea

Man City march on with League Cup win over Swansea
By Reuters

22/09/2016 at 00:52

Round-up: Manchester City reached the fourth round of the League Cup with a 2-1 win over Swansea City on Wednesday as they continued their imperious start to the season under Pep Guardiola with a ninth straight win in all competitions.

City looked in control of their tie against Swansea from the start and took the lead when Clichy ended a flowing move with a right-footed effort four minutes after half-time.

When Garcia steered home Jesus Navas's cross midway through the second half the tie was effectively done and dusted although Swansea scored a stoppage-time consolation through Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Vincent Kompany made his return in the City back line - but also departed a few seconds early, apparently unable to continue after a knock.

Tottenham, who made 11 changes from the side that beat Sunderland on Sunday, brushed aside Gillingham with ease as Christian Eriksen opened the scoring with a stunning effort from distance and then doubled the lead.

Dutch striker Vincent Janssen netted his first for the club from the penalty spot and further goals Erik Lamela and Josh Onomah rounded off the romp against a Gillingham side managed by former Spurs player Justin Edinburgh.

West Ham, who have lost four of their five opening Premier League games, were locked in stalemate and heading for extra time against fourth division Accrington Stanley before Payet lined up a free kick deep into stoppage time.

The France international, who started on the bench, bent the ball over the wall to beat Accrington keeper Elliot Parish.

Charlie Austin and Jake Hesketh were on target for Southampton as they beat Crystal Palace 2-0 in an all-Premier League tie while Sunderland's Paddy McNair scored twice in a 2-1 win over Championship side Queens Park Rangers.

Hull City booked their spot in the next round after coming from behind to beat struggling Stoke City 2-1 thanks to a stoppage-time winner from Markus Henriksen. Bristol City beat Fulham 2-1.