Getty Images

Paper Round: Chelsea to spend big as Diego Costa hits out

Paper Round: Chelsea to spend big as Costa hits out

13/08/2017 at 22:56Updated 14/08/2017 at 07:39

Chelsea are preparing to spend big but DIego Costa has hit out at both the club and manager Antonio Conte. It's Monday's Paper Round.

Costa hits out at Chelsea and Conte

We start with The Mail, who have an explosive exclusive with Chelsea forward Diego Costa. The 28-year-old tells the Mail that he feels he has been treated like 'a criminal' by the club and manager Antonio Conte. Costa said he wanted to renew his contract in January but it was blocked and he couldn't believe that Conte messaged him via text to say he wasn't needed. He also spoke of his desire to return to Atletico and his willingness to stay and train alone in Brazil if Chelsea do not allow him to move. Costa was full of praise for his replacement Alvaro Morata, said he is still talking to many of the Chelsea players and interestingly revealed that Jose Mourinho had been on the phone to check that he's okay.

Paper Round's view: All credit to the Mail for this interview and neither Chelsea nor Conte come out of it particularly well. Of course Costa has his own agenda, he's trying to push for a move away, but it does sound as if he has been treated harshly. Chelsea have previous for this (Florent Malouda anyone?) and how they could have used Costa on the weekend, perhaps in tandem with Morata. This is an ugly situation and Conte is going to end up looking very silly if Chelsea now struggle and Costa starts turning it on for Atletico. Conte and Chelsea can brief to the press all they like about training ground rows and bids from China but really there needs to be something more concrete from Conte on how this situation came about.


Chelsea ready to back Conte with £130m splurge

We move to The Express, who report that Chelsea are ready to back Conte with a splurge of £130 million on new players following their 3-2 defeat at home to Burnley on Saturday. A bid of £25m has been made for Valencia's Joao Cancelo whilst offers of £25m, £30m and more than £50m will be made for Danny Drinkwater, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Virgil van Dijk respectively.

Paper Round's view: Signing Oxlade-Chamberlain and Van Dijk just about makes sense. Signing Drinkwater for £25m having sold Nathaniel Chalobah and loaning out Ruben Loftus-Cheek is just baffling. Chelsea's transfer policy is flawed and after letting so many good players leave this summer they will be caught out this season, even if they spend big.


Spurs step up interest in Keita

In The Mirror it is reported that Spurs are stepping up their interest in Lazio forward Keita Balde Diao after he was left out of their squad to face Juventus in the Supercoppa. Keita is reportedly keen on a move to the Serie A champions but Lazio would prefer to sell him abroad which has alerted Spurs, West Ham and Ligue 1 champions Monaco.

Paper Round's view: Spurs need to make signings and Keita could be perfect. At 22 he can be developed by Mauricio Pochettino and he brings versatility to the forward line. With just 12 months left on his deal he shouldn't cost too much and could certainly be sold on for a profit down the line. He sounds like the perfect Daniel Levy signing.


West Ham confident of signing Carvalho

We end with The Mirror, who report that West Ham are confident of bringing in William Carvalho from Sporting. Carvalho, 25, is reportedly keen on making the move and after intensive talks a fee of £36m has been agreed. Carvalho should complete his move in the next week.

Paper Round's view: Carvalho seems to have been linked to the Premier League for years. Does his move to West Ham rather than Arsenal or Manchester United say more about his failure to develop as expected or the increase in money in the Premier League?

0
0