Watford v Manchester City preview: Live TV details, tickets, match facts, quotes, odds
Get team news, match facts, quotes, odds and more ahead of the Premier League clash between Watford and Manchester City.
Champions League qualification is firmly in Manchester City's hands. Avoid defeat against Watford on Sunday and City will finish inside the top four. Win and third place, complete with automatic qualification to the group stage, will be secure.
"I will not say fourth position is done, but Arsenal have to win by five or six against Everton and my good friend Ronald Koeman," Guardiola said after watching his team beat West Brom 3-1. "We are going to travel to London to try and finish third and go direct to the Champions League. I'm happy it's in our hands to finish third. This club had not played in Europe for 30 years. Now we are there every year, but we have to try and be better next season."
Gabriel Jesus of Manchester City celebrates scoring his sides first goal with Kevin De Bruyne of Manchester City during the Premier League match between Manchester City and West Bromwich Albion at Etihad Stadium on May 16, 2017 in Manchester, England.Eurosport
Pep Guardiola: "Our home season was not good. We finished the last three games with good performances, but it was not good. That was the reason we didn't fight (for the title) until the end of the season. We lost a lot of points."
Walter Mazzarri: "It has been a great experience, I am very happy to have lived it. It has been interesting to see English football from within. We have had some problems, but we have met the target. It was a shame that right at our best, when everything went well, when we were seventh, we had an incredible accumulation of injuries. Despite these misfortunes, we were able to reach the 40 points with six games remaining, which is the record for this club. As we secured safety long before the end of the season, it is normal that from there the players will relax. This club does not have the same ambitions, the same mentality, as the previous clubs in which I have been. I tried to instill a winning mentality here, but between the injuries and the difficulties that have come at the end of the season, it has not been possible."
WHEN IS THE MATCH?
Kick off is at 15:00 on 21 May 2017.
WHERE IS IT BEING PLAYED?
WHY SHOULD I CARE?
Manchester City's Champions League qualification hinges on this game. Imagine Pep Guardiola not being in the biggest club competition in the world! (No, really. Please imagine it. You'll thank us)
CAN I WATCH IT ON TV?
CAN I STILL GET TICKETS?
- Watford have failed to beat Manchester City in their last seven league encounters (D2 L5), losing each of the previous three Premier League contests.
- The Citizens have scored 2+ goals in six of the last nine league clashes between the two sides, including exactly two goals in each of the last three.
- Sergio Aguero has scored four goals in his last three games against Watford in all competitions, including an FA Cup hat-trick against the Hornets in January 2013.
- The Hornets are unbeaten in their three Premier League final day matches (W1 D2), with all three coming at Vicarage Road.
- Manchester City have lost just one of their last eight games on the final day of the season (W5 D2), a loss against Norwich in the 2012/13 campaign.
- Even if Watford win this match (currently 40 points), they’ll still fall short of their Premier League points tally from 2015-16 under Quique Sanchez Flores (45).
- The Hornets have scored the same number of goals as they did in the Premier League last season (40) but have conceded 13 goals more (63 v 50) with one game remaining.
- Watford have lost their last five Premier League games and failed to score in four of these – they’ve never lost six in a row in their top-flight history.
- This is the first time in Pep Guardiola’s nine-season career as a manager that he’s failed to finish in the top two of the league. He’d previously won the title in seven seasons and finished second once (2011-12 with Barcelona).
- Jose Holebas has equalled the Premier League record for the most yellow cards in a single season (14) and could set the outright record in this match should he be cautioned.
Watford 11/1, Draw 21/4, Man City 4/13 (Best odds at the time of writing)