Valterri Bottas stuns Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel to take pole in Bahrain
Valterri Bottas has claimed a shock pole position for Mercedes at the Bahrain Grand Prix, ahead of team-mate Lewis Hamilton.
The Finn picked up his first top spot in qualifying to beat his British team-mate and Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel, who have one win apiece in this year's championship, into second and third place on the grid respectively.
Hamilton finished just 0.023 slower than Bottas's lap of one minute 28.769 seconds, to secure the first front row lockout of the season for the reigning champions.
Mercedes, who won the race last year with now-retired champion Nico Rosberg, have taken five successive poles at the desert Sakhir circuit.
1. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Mercedes
2. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes
3. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Ferrari
4. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Red Bull - TAG Heuer
5. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari
6. Max Verstappen (Netherlands) Red Bull - TAG Heuer
7. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Renault
9. Romain Grosjean (France) Haas - Ferrari
10. Jolyon Palmer (Britain) Renault
12. Lance Stroll (Canada) Williams-Mercedes
13. Pascal Wehrlein (Germany) Sauber - Ferrari
14. Esteban Ocon (France) Force India - Mercedes
16. Carlos Sainz Jr (Spain) Toro Rosso - Renault
17. Stoffel Vandoorne (Belgium) McLaren
18. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Force India - Mercedes
19. Marcus Ericsson (Sweden) Sauber - Ferrari
20. Kevin Magnussen (Denmark) Haas - Ferrari