Judd Trump survives scare to progress, but John Higgins suffers defeat
Defending champion Judd Trump hit back from 3-1 behind to complete a 4-3 victory over world number 105 Martin O'Donnell in the second round of the European Masters.
Trump contributed 106 to restore parity at 1-1 after O'Donnell won the opening frame with a run of 70.
O'Donnell claimed the next two frames for a 3-1 lead, but could not keep up the momentum as Trump edged through by dominating the final three frames - including a run of 110 in the fifth frame - for the concession of only 33 points.
World champion Mark Selby showed all his class in a 4-3 win over China's 19-year-old Lyu Haotian.
Lyu won the first frame with a break of 88 only for Selby to level at 1-1 with an 89.
The world number one looked in danger of defeat when his opponent made 84, 62 and 74 on his way to a 3-2 lead, but Selby claimed the final two frames, including a run of 111 in the sixth to set up a meeting with Jack Lisowski in the last 16.
While Trump and Selby survived, John Higgins was a high-profile casualty at the European Masters as he fell 4-1 to Mark Davis on Wednesday.
The world number three Higgins started strongly with a half-century in the opening frame, but his form deserted him as Davis reeled off three 50+ breaks - including a 53, 80 and 92 - of his own to claim the next four frames.
Evergreen Hastings potter Davis will face Anthony McGill for a quarter-final place.
The 2010 world champion completed the rout with a glorious 129 break having stamped his authority on the match with opening knocks of 57 and 61.
1997 Crucible winner Ken Doherty's tournament was ended 4-2 by China's Cao Yupeng.
And in a second battle of ex-Crucible winners Stuart Bingham brushed aside Graeme Dott 4-0.
Mark Allen, Mark Williams and home favourite Luca Brecel also made it through.
European Masters second round draw/results
- Judd Trump 4-3 Martin O'Donnell
- David Gilbert 4-1 Chen Zifan
- Ben Woollaston 4-3 Gerard Greene
- Alan McManus 1-4 Mark Allen
- Neil Robertson 4-0 Peter Ebdon
- Mark Williams 4-3 Ross Muir
- Aditya Mehta 3-4 Billy Joe Castle
- Cao Yupeng 4-2 Ken Doherty
- John Higgins 1-4 Mark Davis
- Anthony McGill 4-0 Alfie Burden
- Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Peter Lines
- Zhou Yuelong 4-0 Michael Georgiou
- Stuart Bingham 4-0 Graeme Dott
- Chris Wakelin 1-4 Luca Brecel
- Joe Perry 2-4 Jack Lisowski
- Lyu Haotian 3-4 Mark Selby