Sharapova says won't request wildcard for Wimbledon main draw

Sharapova says won't request wildcard for Wimbledon main draw
By Reuters

19/05/2017 at 14:07Updated 19/05/2017 at 14:09

LONDON, May 19 (Reuters) - Former Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova said she will not request a wildcard into this year's championships after failing to gain a high enough ranking for direct entry to the main draw.

The 30-year-old Russian, who returned last month from a 15-month doping ban, said on her website she would play in the qualifying event staged the week before.

"Because of my improved ranking after the first three tournaments of my return, I will also be playing the qualifying of Wimbledon in Roehampton, and will not be requesting a wildcard into the main draw," Sharapova said on her website. (Reporting by Martyn Herman; editing by John Stonestreet)

0
0