- Raw - Stories of Bravery, Determination, and Talent explores the different boundaries, prejudices, and issues that have challenged elite athletes across the world
- New eight-part Eurosport Original series launching on May 19 to feature elite sportspeople including French rugby great Serge Betsen, World Champion boxer Jane Couch, 19 Grand Tour stage-winning cyclist Marcel Kittel, and more
- Series produced in partnership with creative agency MUNDIAL in first collaboration with Eurosport
Premiering on Wednesday 19 May, the eight-episode series will be released weekly across all major UK podcast platforms until Wednesday July 7. Renowned presenter Owen Blackhurst, host of MUNDIAL’s multi-award winning Spotify Original podcast, GIANT, will be joined by a series of pioneering figures from the world of sport, who tell their stories of remarkable defiance in the face of the issues that they have overcome.
Episode one sees women’s boxing pioneer Jane Couch and world title challenger Natasha Jonas discuss their battles in the face of horrific discrimination within the sport and how their perseverance has left their profession in a much-improved place for future generations.
Best of the Wresting World Championships in Oslo - Top 5 moments
Scott Young, Eurosport SVP Production and Content said:
“Raw features some of the most remarkable athletes that have had to overcome so much just to compete, let alone perform at the highest level of their sports.
“We’re pleased to continue our mission of unlocking the power of sport by educating audiences everywhere, igniting conversations around our values and telling inspiring stories from sport.
MUNDIAL are award-winning content creators and their position and tone of voice matches perfectly with our vision. Our partnership will enable us to further this by producing an authentic series that we know listeners everywhere will be stimulated, fascinated and captivated by while listening to each episode.
Owen Blackhurst, host of Raw and MUNDIAL Head of Business said:
We came away from the first meeting with Eurosport incredibly excited about the prospect of making this series because of the shared goal to tell important stories that often fly under the radar and don’t get the exposure they deserve. These aren’t really sports stories, they are human stories. Stories about learning to walk again. Being used as a drug mule by people smugglers. Fighting insidious sexism for the right to compete. We’re very privileged that these incredible people shared their stories with us, and are proud to share them with a global audience.
Raw is the latest original series produced by Eurosport in collaboration with authentic content creators. It follows the launch of Eurosport’s original short film series Trailblazers in partnership with Refresh Sports Consultancy and Production, which shines a light on the world’s greatest sporting icons through engaging animation, archive content and contemporary interviews. The 10-part series features biweekly episodes that celebrates those who did more than just win, but also pioneered change in society.
The full schedule of Raw episodes and athletes featured includes:
- Episode 1 (19 May): Jane Couch & Natasha Jonas (Boxing) - Topic: Gender equality.
- Episode 2 (26 May): Ryan Boyle (Cycling) - Topic: Disability
- Episode 3 (2 June): Alison Van Uytvanck and Greet Minnen (Tennis) - Topic: Sexual orientation
- Episode 4 (9 June): Serge Betsen (Rugby) - Topic: Pain
- Episode 5 (16 June): Farid Walizadeh (Boxing) and Asif Sultani (Karate) - Topic: Displacement
- Episode 6 (23 June): Jazmine Fenlator-Victorian (Bobsleigh) - Topic: Identity
- Episode 7 (30 June): Marcel Kittel (Cycling) - Topic: Mental Health.
- Episode 8 (7 July): DaMarcus Beasley and Daryl Dike (Football) - Topic: Racial Inequality
This new launch enhances Eurosport’s UK podcast portfolio. The Bradley Wiggins Show by Eurosport and Re-Cycle air regularly throughout the cycling season, tackling all the key talking points and race action as well as re-living memorable moments from years gone by.
Eurosport is the number one sport destination in Europe, unlocking the power of sport through localised content from the world’s greatest sporting events. As the Home of the Olympic Games in Europe, Discovery is bringing Eurosport to discovery+, the real-life direct-to-consumer streaming service, starting in a range of international markets during 2021. Firmly established as the Home of Cycling, Grand Slam Tennis and Winter Sport, Eurosport channels – Eurosport 1, Eurosport 2 – reach 246 million cumulative subscribers across 75 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Eurosport.com is Europe’s No 1 online sports news website with an average of 30 million unique users per month. Eurosport Events specializes in the management and promotion of international sporting events. More information is available by visiting corporate.eurosport.com.
MUNDIAL is an award-winning creative agency and multi-format publisher that understands sports and sports fans. After starting out as a one-off magazine to celebrate the 2014 World Cup, we have collaborated with brands like the FA, Nike, Spotify, Adidas, and Optus Sport to create print, audio, film, and real life activations.
Enjoying what Tokyo has to offer
Tokyo residents on their expectations for the Olympic Games in Japan