NFL notebook: Pierre-Paul out at least 5 to 6 months

NFL notebook: Pierre-Paul out at least 5 to 6 months
By Reuters

11/05/2019 at 02:27Updated 11/05/2019 at 02:28

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pass rusher Jason Pierre-Paul will miss five to six months as a best-case scenario due to the broken neck he suffered in a car accident last week, head coach Bruce Arians told reporters on Friday.

A decision on whether Pierre-Paul will need neck surgery hasn't yet been
reached. "Very unfortunate," Arians said of the situation. "All we can do is
just pray and hope for the best and hope it's one of those five- or six-month
things and go from there."

Pierre-Paul was injured in the early morning hours of May 2 when he lost
control of his Ferrari and it veered off the road and crashed into a concrete
barrier. It was raining at the time of the accident, according to the crash
report. Pierre-Paul was not ticketed at the scene.

The loss of Pierre-Paul would be a big blow as even the hopeful scenario
outlined by Arians would have him missing six to 10 games. Not having him at
all in 2019 is also possible. Pierre-Paul had a team-best 12.5 sacks last
season, his first with the Bucs after playing eight years for the New York
Giants.

--If quarterback Kyler Murray's first day of rookie minicamp with the Arizona
Cardinals didn't start so smoothly, he has an excuse: It must be the shoes.
Murray was missing his usual cleats, which weren't delivered to the practice
facility in time for the start of minicamp.

"My feet hurt a little bit," Murray said. "It's been a long time since I put
cleats on. I've been running around. The cleats were pretty new."

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury expects the proper pair to arrive by
Saturday's practice, so he wasn't too worried about Murray's quick feet. Other
than the shoe issue, Murray was happy with his first day, saying "it was
great" to work with Kingsbury.

--Despite raising eyebrows in the New York media by skipping voluntary team
workouts two months after signing a contract with $27 million guaranteed, new
Jets running back Le'Veon Bell intends to participate in the team's mandatory
minicamp in June.

Per the New York Daily News, coach Adam Gase confirmed that his star free
agent pickup said he will show up when the Jets convene on a mandatory basis
from June 4-6. Bell liked his Miami-area digs for offseason training as a
member of the Pittsburgh Steelers, including his full year spent in relative
exile as a holdout.

The Daily News on Friday characterized the Jets as not "particularly pleased"
that Bell, 27, has not shown up for the voluntary portion of the Jets'
offseason schedule, despite most other veterans attending.

--Defensive end Ezekiel Ansah, who has 48 career sacks, officially signed
one-year, $9 million contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

The signing of Ansah figures to help make up for the departure of Frank Clark,
who was recently dealt to the Kansas City Chiefs after leading the team with
13 sacks last season. Defensive end Nate Orchard was released to open a roster
spot for Ansah. The four-year veteran was signed by Seattle last month.

Coming off shoulder surgery after missing nine games in 2018, Ansah expects to
be cleared by mid-August, according to the NFL Network. Ansah, who turns 30 on
May 29, had four sacks and seven quarterback hits in seven games (two starts)
while playing on the franchise tag ($17.1 million) for Detroit last season.

--The New England Patriots agreed to terms with receiver Dontrelle Inman on a
one-year deal, according to multiple reports.

Inman, 30, caught 28 passes for 304 yards and three touchdowns in nine games
for the Indianapolis Colts last season. Inman's best season came in 2016, when
he established career highs of 58 receptions, 810 yards and four touchdowns
for the then-San Diego Chargers.

Inman played for the Chargers from 2014-17 -- including four games in 2017
after the move to Los Angeles -- and also played for the Chicago Bears (eight
games in 2017). He has 158 career receptions for 2,101 yards and 11 scores in
58 games (34 starts).

--Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Kendell Beckwith will miss a second
consecutive season after being placed on the reserve/non-football injury list.

Beckwith missed 2018 after having surgery to repair a broken ankle suffered in
a single-car accident near his home in Louisiana. According to ESPN, there are
fears his injury could be career-ending. He returned to practice late last
season, but after three weeks, the team declined to add him to the active
roster.

Beckwith, 24, played in all 16 games (11 starts) as a rookie third-round pick
in 2017, collecting 73 tackles, two passes defensed and a sack. His NFL debut
was his first in-game action since suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament
in his left knee in November 2016 during his senior season at LSU.

--Field Level Media

0
0