NBA notebook: Wolves' owner says Butler nixed max extension
Minnesota Timberwolves forward Jimmy Butler has turned down the team's four-year, $110 million max-level extension offer, owner Glen Taylor said on Friday.
Appearing on ESPN 1500 Twin Cities radio, Taylor described the exchange
between the two sides as cordial, but noted that Butler and his
representatives intend to seek a more lucrative contract when Butler becomes
eligible next year.
"They said, 'You guys have done everything and we're very appreciative, but
our bet is that we should wait 'til next year and get ourselves a better
deal,'" Taylor said. "... We did everything we could, and they want to do what
they think is right for Jimmy."
Butler, 28, is set to become a free agent next summer, when he stands to make
significantly more money, whether by re-signing with the Wolves or joining
another team in free agency. Next year, he will be eligible for a five-year
max-level deal with Minnesota worth around $188 million or a four-year deal
with any other team worth around $140 million.
Parker and the Bulls are making progress on an offer sheet and could finalize
contract terms as soon as Sunday, according to ESPN. Per the report, the Bucks
are not expected to match an offer sheet for Parker and have considered
rescinding his qualifying offer, which would make Parker a free agent.
Parker, 23, was the No. 2 overall selection in the 2014 NBA Draft, but his
career has been marred by injury. He twice has been sidelined by tears of the
anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, the most recent of which caused
him to miss the first 50 games last season. He played in 31 games for the
Bucks, starting just three, and averaged 12.6 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.9
In return, the Hawks sent the Nets the rights to 2016 second-round pick Isaia
Cordinier, who to date has remained in his native France, and a protected
second-round pick in the 2020 draft.
Lin, who turns 30 next month, played in only one game last season with
Brooklyn, sustaining a season-ending ruptured patellar tendon on opening
--Los Angeles Lakers guard Lonzo Ball will have arthroscopic surgery on his
left knee on Tuesday, the team announced.
The team will provide an update after surgery is complete, but no further
details were offered. Yahoo Sports reported at the end of June that Ball had a
torn meniscus in his left knee but was expected to be ready in time for
training camp. Per the report, Ball was diagnosed with the injury at the end
of the regular season and had gone through various healing processes.
ESPN reported on June 11 that Ball had a platelet-rich plasma shot in the knee
earlier this offseason, one of a few methods he has attempted in order to get
fully healthy after missing the final eight games of the season. The Lakers
have yet to confirm a meniscus tear, and this is the first mention of any
surgical procedure from the team or from media reports.
--Los Angeles Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka said earlier this week that
the only guaranteed starter in the lineup would be LeBron James, and that the
other four starters had yet to be determined. Guard Josh Hart is making a case
that he should grab one of them.
On a conference call with reporters, team president Magic Johnson said
everyone should take note of Hart's play in the Las Vegas Summer League
action. Hart is averaging 22.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.5
steals per game in summer league play, as the Lakers have gone 4-0 in Vegas.
"Look at Josh Hart. He's playing unbelievable in Las Vegas," Johnson said,
according to the Los Angeles Times. "Some guys better watch out because he's
pushing to start."
--Field Level Media