Humphries, who last year filed a harassment complaint against Bobsleigh Canada and stepped away from competition, had most recently been denied release by a judge after filing a lawsuit.

But Bobsleigh Canada opted to let the 34-year-old Canadian slide to the U.S. side. Humphries needed the release by Monday in order to be eligible to compete for the United States this season.

Bobsleigh
Friedrich reigns supreme again with four-man bobsleigh victory
01/03/2020 AT 17:15

“This was not an easy decision, nor was it one we took lightly,” Bobsleigh Canada said in a statement.

“Alongside our stakeholders, we carefully weighed all the relevant factors in this important and complex decision of releasing a medal-potential athlete to one of our top competitors," the governing body said. "Ultimately, we firmly believe that supporting our current athletes and the positive culture they have developed as a team will foster the environment we need to successfully grow our sport and slide onto the international podium both now, and in the future.

“These athletes and coaches deserve the opportunity to focus on their pursuit of excellence.”

Humphries, who won gold medals at the 2010 and 2014 Olympics before picking up a bronze at the 2018 Pyeongchang Games, recently married American Travis Armbruster.

Bobsleigh
Walther leads the way in 4-man bobsleigh
29/02/2020 AT 21:00
Bobsleigh
Friedrich makes it six on the spin on home ice
23/02/2020 AT 17:24