Legendary ‘Shakey’ Byrne joins Eurosport team for 2019 Bennetts BSB Championship
Eurosport today announced the iconic Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne will join its Bennetts British Superbikes team for its unrivalled coverage of the 2019 season.
- Shane Byrne joins the Eurosport team full-time after successful stint in 2018
- Byrne to front own podcast -‘The Shakey Show’ - throughout the season
- 2019 Bennetts British Superbikes Championship live on Eurosport UK with Discovery-owned Quest and DMAX broadcasting live action from selected rounds
The six-time Bennetts British Superbikes champion will join lead commentator Jack Burnicle, analysts James Whitham and James Haydon, presenter Matt Roberts and pit-lane reporter Rachel Stringer as part of the Eurosport team. Greg Haines will commentate on support races as well as lead commentator for World Superbikes.
Shane Byrne of Be Wiser Ducati Racing Team celebrates with his wife after winning the British Superbike Championship for the sixth time at the finale at Brands HatchGetty Images
Byrne, who made his debut in the Championship back in 1999, will provide expert analysis to hundreds of thousands of fans watching on Eurosport’s platforms at all 12 rounds of the 2019 season after a successful stint with the channel last year.
Super-serving passionate fans of British motorcycle racing like never before, Byrne will give deeper insights into the championship via a new 12-part podcast - ‘The Shakey Show’ – where he will review the action from each round whilst also bringing you the inside scoop from the paddock.
Byrne will also front ‘Backtrack with Shakey’, a new short-form run digital series, where he will talk fans through some of his top tips as well as sharing his memories from each circuit on the Championship.
This season will also see new innovations introduced to race coverage, bringing fans closer to the action than ever before. For the first time, crew chiefs will be mic’d up allowing fans to experience discussions with the rider during pit-stops for qualifying sessions.
Shane Byrne said:
" I am delighted to be joining the Eurosport team for 2019. It’s the next best thing to racing, I get to be a part of a brilliant team and I’ll be involved in all of the action from every round, starting at Silverstone next weekend. Eurosport and the British Superbikes Championship are synonymous with each other and I can’t wait to be a part of yet another thrilling season."
Simon Downing, Head of Channel - Eurosport, added:
" Shane is a fantastic addition to the Eurosport superbikes team, and we are really excited to have him on board. His profile is unrivalled, and to have someone of his calibre will strengthen our coverage and help super-serve what we know is a hugely passionate audience. The Bennetts British Superbikes Championship is among Eurosport’s portfolio of premium content and we can’t wait for the season to get started."
Discovery-owned free-to-air channels Quest and DMAX will also broadcast the Championship, with Quest broadcasting complete race weekend coverage from round one (Silverstone), round three (Donington Park) and round nine (Oulton Park) while DMAX will broadcast the final Showdown round from Brands Hatch, live and in full.
Scott Redding, who has moved to BSB after 11 years on the MotoGP circuit, will take to the grid alongside 2015 champion Josh Brookes for the Be Wiser Ducati Racing Team. Young star Bradley Ray will also be looking to build on his impressive debut season in BSB, which saw him finish in sixth position.
The action from the 2019 Bennett British Superbike Championship gets underway on the 20th April at Silverstone Circuit, LIVE on Eurosport and Quest.
The Bennetts British Superbike Championship is considered one of motorsport’s flagship two-wheel competitions and fronts Eurosport’s motorsport portfolio boasting coverage from the FIM World Superbike Championship, Formula E and Le Mans 24 Hours.
Dates for the diary:
- Round 1, 20-21 April, Silverstone Circuit – broadcast LIVE on Eurosport and Quest
- Round 2, 5-6 May – Oulton Park International – broadcast LIVE on Eurosport
- Round 3, 25-26 May – Donington Park – broadcast LIVE on Eurosport and Quest
- Round 4, 15-16 June – Brands Hatch GP – broadcast LIVE on Eurosport
- Round 5, 30 June – 1 July – Knockhill – broadcast LIVE on Eurosport
- Round 6, 20-21 July – Snetterton – broadcast LIVE on Eurosport
- Round 7, 3-4 August – Thruxton – broadcast LIVE on Eurosport
- Round 8, 17-18 August – Cadwell Park – broadcast LIVE on Eurosport
- Round 9, 7-8 September – Oulton Park International – broadcast LIVE on Eurosport and Quest
- Round 10, 21-22 September – TT Circuit Assen, Showdown 1 - broadcast LIVE on Eurosport
- Round 11, 5-6 October, Donington Park, Showdown 2 - broadcast LIVE on Eurosport
- Round 12, 19-20 October, Brands Hatch GP, Showdown 3 - broadcast LIVE on Eurosport and DMAX
How to watch the Bennetts British Superbikes Championship:
Eurosport via Sky Channel 513, Virgin Media Channel 521/522, BT TV Channel 412/413
Quest via Sky Channel 144, Virgin Media Channel 217, Freeview 114, Freesat 167
DMAX via Sky Channel 178, Virgin Media Channel 213, Freeview 42, Freesat 150
Eurosport holds world-wide rights for the Bennetts British Superbikes Championship. This includes broadcasting across 54 European countries, 20 different languages, with a potential cumulative reach of 231million households across Eurosport 1 and Eurosport 2. Eurosport UK will broadcast over 100 hours of live coverage across the 2019 season.