Esteban Chaves climbed away from the rest of the chasing pack to take a convincing victory in Stage 4 of the Volta a Catalunya, while Adam Yates (Ineos Grenadiers) retained his 45-second lead in the general classification.
The Colombian Team BikeExchange rider finished ahead of Canada's Michael Woods (Israel Start-Up Nation) and former Tour de France champion Geraint Thomas (Ineos Grenadiers) after putting in a mammoth effort on a punishing uphill finish, with little respite.
Yates finished fourth, leaving his overall advantage untouched at 45 seconds and leading an Ineos Grenadiers 1-2-3 ahead of Richie Porte and Thomas.
Pogacar has already joined the pantheon of greats but terrifyingly there is much more to come
His twin brother Simon Yates (Team BikeExchange) is 10th in GC, 1:32 adrift.
Friday’s Stage 5 sees the peloton tackle 201.5km (125 miles) and runs from La Pobla De Segur to Manresa, featuring a few climbs and a largely downhill finish.
Stage 4 results
- 1. Esteban Chaves Rubio (Col) Team BikeExchange 4:29:47
- 2. Michael Woods (Can) Israel Start-up Nation +7
- 3. Geraint Thomas (GB) Ineos Grenadiers
- 4. Adam Yates (GB) Ineos Grenadiers
- 5. Sepp Kuss (USA) Jumbo-Visma
- 6. Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team
- 7. Richie Porte (Aus) Ineos Grenadiers
- 8. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Bora-Hansgrohe
- 9. Nairo Quintana (Col) Team Arkea-Samsic
- 10. Lucas Hamilton (Aus) Team BikeExchange
'What a heart!' – Chaves holds off quality group to win Stage 4
- 1. Adam Yates (GB) Ineos Grenadiers 14:14:15
- 2. Richie Porte (Aus) Ineos Grenadiers +45
- 3. Geraint Thomas (GB) Ineos Grenadiers +49
- 4. Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team +1:03
- 5. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Bora-Hansgrohe
- 6. Esteban Chaves Rubio (Col) Team BikeExchange +1:04
- 7. João Almeida (Por) Deceuninck-QuickStep +1:07
- 8. Hugh Carthy (GB) EF Education-Nippo +1:20
- 9. Sepp Kuss (USA) Jumbo-Visma +1:29
- 10. Simon Yates (GB) Team BikeExchange +1:32
Imperious Pogacar rides into history books with Il Lombardia win
Milano - Torino
Roglic overhauls Yates to win Milano-Torino