City back on top after easy with over Shakhtar Donetsk
Champions League Group C, Metalist Stadium - Shakhtar Donetsk 0-3 Manchester City (Mahrez 24', Gundogan 38', Jesus 76')
Manchester City returned to winning ways with a 3-0 Champions League victory against Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine.
City pressed from the off, and while Shakhtar were not toothless, it was no surprise when the away side took the lead through the Algerian with a tap-in. Ilkay Gundogan made it two as City ruthlessly exploited a defensive mistake before the end of the first half.
In the second half, Raheem Sterling hit the post after good work from Gundogan, but both sides seemed content to let the game play out for a routine defeat until Gabriel Jesus grabbed a third on the counter.
After the loss to Norwich City at the weekend, City find themselves back in form, and are in second place in their group.
Fernandinho seemed comfortable in defence - Shakhtar Donetsk are no fools, and there were plenty of counterattacks for the Brazilian to have to deal with, and he did it well. It is by no means perfect to use him as a central defender but it seems that he will be comfortable against all but the most talented sides.
Man of the Match - Ilkay Gundogan (Manchester City)
Gundogan has had an inconsistent time at City since he found more reliable fitness, but he was at his best today. He was much more energetic than he is typically perceived. He was at the heart of City’s pressing game and was key to both goals.
Manchester City: Ederson 7, Walker 7, Otamendi 6, Fernandinho 7, Zinchenko 6, Gundogan 8, Rodrigo 7, De Bruyne 7, Mahrez 7, Sterling 7, Jesus 7. Subs: Cancelo 6, Silva 6, Mendy 6,
Shakhtar Donetsk: Pyatov 6, Ktyvtsov 6, Bolbat 6, Matviienko 6, Stepanenko 6, Taison 6, Moraes 6, Marlos 6, Solomon 5, Patrick 6, Ismaily 6, Subs: Konoplyanka 5, Antonio 6, Dentinho 6.
24’ - GOAL! Shakhtar Donetsk 0-1 Manchester City. Mahrez scores - Shaktar fail to clear the box, Gundogan presses and works space to sidefoot a shot from the edge of the box. It strikes the inside of the post and Mahrez is on hand to tap in to an empty net.
35’ - EDERSON SAVE - A vital intervention from Ederson after Moraes bears down on him, but the Brazilian crucially blocks his effort.
38’ - GOAL! Shakhtar Donetsk 0-2 Manchester City. Gundogan scores - Mahrez picks out Gundogan's run and he slips a neat finish past the 'keeper to double the lead.
50' - MORAES CHANCE - Moraes is given a ball to chase, and the ludicrous attempt from Ederson to rush and cover, almost ends in embarrassment when Moraes spins away from the 'keeper, out of the box, and sends a shot wide of the far post.
52’ - STERLING HITS THE POST - Rubbish from everyone. Shakhtar give the ball away in their own half. Gundogan runs at goal, shoots straight at the keeper, who spills it. Ktyvtsov swings a leg at it, Rooney style, and it goes straight to Sterling who then clatters his shot at the post.
77’ - GOAL! Shakhtar Donetsk 0-3 Manchester City. Jesus scores - City have three on one as they race away on the counter, Jesus is released by De Bruyen into space on the inside left, and he slots home his side's third goal.
Manchester City's palyers celebrate a goal scored by Manchester City's German midfielder Ilkay Gundogan during the UEFA Champions League Group C football match between FC Shakhtar Donetsk and Manchester City FC at the OSK Metalist stadium in Kharkiv on SeGetty Images
- Shakhtar Donetsk have conceded 15 goals in their five meetings with Manchester City in the UEFA Champions League; the most they've conceded against an opponent in the competition.
- Manchester City have kept clean sheets in four of their five Champions League matches against Shakhtar Donetsk, double the amount than they have versus any other side.
- Since the start of 2016-17 campaign, only Real Madrid (84) and Bayern Munich (72) have scored more Champions League goals than Pep Guardiola's Man City (71).
- Shakhtar Donetsk have failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their last 17 UEFA Champions League matches (36 goals conceded).
- Since the start of the 2017-18 Champions League campaign, only James Milner (10) has recorded more assists in the competition than Kevin De Bruyne (9).
- Riyad Mahrez has had a hand in seven goals in seven Champions League appearances for Man City (2 goals, 5 assists).