UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin on Wednesday reiterated the ruling body's commitment to holding the rescheduled European Championship this year in 12 cities across the continent as originally planned.
The 24-nation event, which was due to take place in June-July last year, was postponed by 12 months due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
"I'm optimistic that things are highly likely to be very different with regard to the virus as we move closer to the tournament," Ceferin said in a statement.
Euro 2020
Twitter reveals scale of racism in UK after England Euro 2020 final defeat
10/08/2021 AT 13:27
"It's important that we give the host cities and governments as much time as we can to formulate an accurate picture of what will be possible come June and July.
Fans are such a big part of what makes football special... We must allow ourselves the maximum space to allow their return to the stadiums.
Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said last week that Ceferin was weighing up whether to stage this year's tournament in one country due to coronavirus concerns.
Euro 2020
'I knew straight away' - Referee on Eriksen's Euro 2020 collapse
03/08/2021 AT 20:38
Euro 2020
UEFA to take action against FA after Euro 2020 final disorder
03/08/2021 AT 17:32