Giroud's perfect hat-trick helps Chelsea hammer Kiev
Europa League Last 16, Olimpiyskyi – Dynamo Kiev 0 Chelsea 5 (Giroud 5’, 33’, 59’, Alonso 45’, Hudson-Odoi 78’) Chelsea win 8-0 on aggregate
Olivier Giroud’s perfect hat-trick helped Chelsea cruise into the Europa League quarter-finals as a 5-0 victory at Dynamo Kiev secured an 8-0 aggregate win for the Blues.
After just five minutes, Giroud tapped in with his left foot to send Chelsea on their way, with the Frenchman then turning in Marcos Alonso’s cross with his right in the 33rd minute.
Olivier Giroud of Chelsea celebrates with teammate Antonio Ruediger after scoring his third and his team's fourth goal during the UEFA Europa League Round of 16 Second Leg match between Dynamo Kyiv and Chelsea at NSC Olimpiyskiy Stadium on March 14, 2019Getty Images
Alonso got on the scoresheet himself just before the break, with Giroud then heading in his third – and ninth overall in Europe this season - before setting up Callum Hudson-Odoi, who capped his England Under-21 call-up with Chelsea’s final goal of the night.
Chelsea will discover their last-eight opponents in Friday’s draw.
It’s Chelsea’s tournament to lose – Maurizio Sarri’s men are the outright favourites to win the Europa League, and Thursday's ruthless display at Dynamo proved why – particularly as Eden Hazard was a mere passenger in Ukraine, watching on as an unused substitute.
Perennial Europa winners Sevilla are still lurking, as are Arsenal (for now) and Inter, but Chelsea have the quality to take down any opposition in this tournament. Some final it would be if the Blues end up facing Sarri’s old club Napoli!
MAN OF THE MATCH
Olivier Giroud – Three goals, one assist, need we say more?
Okay then… The service for the Frenchman was exquisite – with his hat-trick coming from a combined 18 or so yards – but you still need the nous to tuck them away.
Olivier Giroud of Chelsea celebrates after scoring his team's first goal during the UEFA Europa League Round of 16 Second Leg match between Dynamo Kyiv and Chelsea at NSC Olimpiyskiy Stadium on March 14, 2019 in Kiev, UkraineGetty Images
There are few better in the game than Giroud when it comes to reactions and first-time attempts in the box, and that will only stand Chelsea in good stead in their pursuit for Europa glory. Whether it’s enough to start ahead of Gonzalo Higuain in the Premier League, we’ll find out at Everton on Sunday.
- Dynamo Kiev: Bokyo 6, Kedziora 5, Burda 5, Kadar 5, Mykolenko 5, Sydorchuk 5, Shepeliev 4, Tsygankov 4, Shaparenko 5, Sidcley 5, Garmash 4. subs: Tche Tche 6, Smirniy N/A, Andriyevskiy N/A.
- Chelsea: Kepa 6, Zappacosta 6, Christensen 6, Rudiger 6, Alonso 8, Kante 7, Kovacic 6, Loftus-Cheek 7, Hudson-Odoi 7, Giroud 9, Willian 7. subs: Jorginho 6, Azpilicueta 6, Pedro 6.
- 5’ - GOAL CHELSEA! The perfect start... Up the other end Zappacosta wins a corner for Chelsea this time - Willian goes over to take, and his cross is flicked on by Loftus-Cheek to Giroud, who taps in his seventh goal in this season's Europa League!
- 33’ - GOAL CHELSEA! Another tap-in for Giroud - and that's now EIGHT goals in Europe for the forward this season. The Frenchman is in the right place to turn in Alonso's inch-perfect cross. A move started by Loftus-Cheek too, who showed great strength to get the attack going.
Chelsea's French forward Olivier Giroud (2nd L) celebrates with teammates after scoring a goal during the UEFA Europa League round of 16, second leg football match between FC Dynamo Kyiv and Chelsea FC at NSK Olimpiyskyi stadium in Kiev on March 14, 2019.Getty Images
- 45+1’ - GOAL CHELSEA! Seconds before half-time Alonso taps in from Hudson-Odoi's cross for Chelsea's third goal on the night! It caps off a fine opening 45 minutes for the visitors.
- 53’ - SAVE & OFF THE POST! How have Dynamo not scored?? Sydorchuk has two bites at the cherry from eight yards out, but Kepa saves his attempt before the second strike hits the woodwork!
- 59’ - GIROUD HAT-TRICK!! Chelsea have a free-kick out wide... Willian crosses it in and there is Giroud to head in his third of the evening! He's now the outright top scorer in this season's Europa League with NINE goals.
- 62’ - WHAT A SAVE! It's a stunning stop from Boyko, who tips Alonso's effort onto the crossbar - all the more impressive as he's by the other post to check the wall as Alonso takes it.
- 78’ - ANOTHER CHELSEA GOAL! Giroud turns provider, picking out Hudson-Odoi who bears down on goal before slotting it past Boyko. A determined celebration from the England youngster too.
Callum Hudson-Odoi of Chelsea celebrates after scoring his team's fifth goal during the UEFA Europa League Round of 16 Second Leg match between Dynamo Kyiv and Chelsea at NSC Olimpiyskiy Stadium on March 14, 2019 in Kiev, UkraineGetty Images
- Chelsea’s 8-0 aggregate win over Dynamo Kyiv is their second biggest European victory over two legs, the other being a 21-0 aggregate win over Jeunesse Hautcharage in the first round of the Cup Winners’ Cup in 1971-72.
- It took Dynamo Kyiv 140 minutes to direct a shot on target against Chelsea in the Europa League this season, managing none in the first leg and their first in 49 minutes in the second leg.
- Olivier Giroud has netted nine goals in his last seven appearances in the Europa League for Chelsea, the most of any player in the competition this season.
- Olivier Giroud has netted nine goals in European competition for Chelsea this season, the most for the club in a single season since Fernando Torres in 2012/13 (9).
- Courtesy of his left foot, right foot and headed goals, Olivier Giroud scored the first ‘perfect’ hat-trick in any competition for Chelsea since Didier Drogba in May 2010 in the Premier League against Wigan.
- Ruben Loftus-Cheek has registered two assists in his last three games for Chelsea in all competitions (both in Europa League v Dynamo Kyiv), after managing none in any of his 32 appearances for the Blues before that.
- Willian has registered six goal involvements in his last five Europa League appearances this season, scoring two and assisting four.
- Callum Hudson-Odoi has had a hand in five goals in his four starts in the Europa League this season (3 goals, 2 assists).