PA Sport

Wigan turn up heat as top two Burton and Gillingham suffer defeats

Wigan turn up heat as top two Burton and Gillingham suffer defeats
By PA Sport

30/01/2016 at 17:38Updated 30/01/2016 at 21:09

Will Grigg scored a hat-trick as Wigan climbed to within two points of the Sky Bet League One automatic promotion places with a 3-0 win against 10-man Port Vale as top two Burton and Gillingham both lost.

Grigg's opener, which initially went down as an own goal by Vale defender Richard Duffy, gave Wigan a seventh-minute lead and the home side went in two-up at the break after Grigg converted a 41st-minute penalty.

Visiting defender Ryan McGivern hauled down Grigg in the area and was shown a straight red card for a professional foul.

Grigg completed his hat-trick in the 69th minute to ensure a comfortable afternoon for Gary Caldwell's side, who extended their unbeaten league run to eight matches.

Leaders Burton slipped to their second defeat in three as they went down 2-1 at Rochdale.

Rochdale, thrashed 6-1 at Barnsley last week, stunned Burton with two goals in the first 24 minutes from Callum Camps and Ian Henderson, the latter converting a penalty after he had been fouled by John Mousinho.

Burton midfielder Lucas Akins reduced the deficit in the 78th minute, but Dale held on.

Gillingham stay second despite losing 1-0 at improving Blackpool, who are unbeaten in their last four.

Jack Redshaw's penalty clinched Blackpool the points on the stroke of half-time after Max Ehmer's foul on Mark Yeates.

Barnsley's march up the table continued as they registered a sixth straight league win thanks to Sam Winnall's late strike in a 1-0 victory at Swindon.

Winnall crashed home an 89th-minute winner for his 16th goal of the season.

Scunthorpe made it two straight wins under caretaker bosses Nick Daws and Andy Dawson with a 2-1 victory at faltering promotion-chasers Coventry, who slipped to a third straight defeat.

Tom Hopper put Scunthorpe ahead in the ninth minute and defender Murray Wallace headed home in the 62nd minute.

Adam Armstrong reduced the deficit with an 86th-minute penalty, after Jamie Ness's foul on James Maddison, but Coventry's hopes were dashed soon after when Romaine Vincelot was sent off for his second yellow card.

Millwall striker Lee Gregory missed an 88th-minute penalty as his side were held 1-1 at home by Crewe in a match which saw three spot-kicks awarded.

Bradden Inman's 59th-minute penalty edged Crewe ahead after Jordan Archer's foul on George Cooper, but five minutes later visiting goalkeeper Ben Garratt hauled down Byron Webster in the area and Gregory equalised from 12 yards.

But the Lions striker fired his second spot kick-wide after Oliver Turton had handled.

Steven Davies slotted home a stoppage-time winner to clinch Bradford a 2-1 home victory against Fleetwood.

Fleetwood striker Jamille Matt's 59th-minute header broke the deadlock after a goalless first half, but James Hanson headed an equaliser eight minutes later and Davies struck from close range in the third minute of added time.