Spain's health minister has said it would not be advisable for spectators to attend La Liga games for the remainder of the season due to the continued threat of the coronavirus, dealing another blow to the league's plans for fans to return.
Organising body La Liga had been hoping to welcome fans back to top-flight and second division matches in limited numbers from next weekend after national infection rates began to slow.
"I don't think it would be the most advisable thing to do for what is left of the season," minister Carolina Darias told a news conference in Oviedo on Monday.
'I have done what I had to do' - Pique had no hesitation in taking pay cut
She said Spain's national infection rate was 229 people per 100,000 but added there was a huge range of rates between the 17 autonomous regions, with rates below 70 per 100,000 in some regions but up to 500 per 100,000 in others.
No crowds have been allowed at top-flight or second division matches since the pandemic first halted Spanish football in March 2020.
Limited numbers of spectators have been let in to other sporting events such as the Barcelona Open tennis tournament last month and the Madrid Open, which began last week.
Memphis among players registered by Barcelona as Pique takes pay cut
Real deny claims Perez wants to quit La Liga for move to Premier League
Share this article