Liverpool go top as Man City slip to first defeat

Liverpool go top as Man City slip to first defeat
By PA Sport

08/12/2018 at 18:37Updated 08/12/2018 at 19:59

The Reds had kept the pressure up with an impressive display at Bournemouth.

Chelsea inflicted a first Premier League defeat on champions Manchester City with a 2-0 victory at Stamford Bridge, which left Liverpool top of the table after earlier winning 4-0 at Bournemouth.

The Reds had kept the pressure up with an impressive display at the Vitality Stadium in Saturday’s lunchtime kick-off, with Mohamed Salah plundering a hat-trick.

City failed to make the most of early possession as Chelsea produced the required clinical response from last weekend’s loss at Wolves to move back up into third place.

Midfielder N’Golo Kante put the Blues ahead just before half-time, with what was a first shot on target for the hosts, after being picked out by Eden Hazard.

With 13 minutes left, David Luiz headed in from a corner to seal Chelsea’s win and leave City a point behind Liverpool.

The Reds had earlier equalled their club-record run of 17 unbeaten Premier League matches after Salah opened the scoring at the Vitality Stadium on 25 minutes – although replays confirmed the Egypt hitman was offside.

There was no argument around his second soon after the restart when Salah rode an attempted trip from behind by Steve Cook to go on and slide the ball into the far corner.

It was 3-0 on 68 minutes when Bournemouth defender Steve Cook turned Andrew Robertson’s low cross into his own net before the rampant Salah completed his treble with 13 minutes left.

Elsewhere in Saturday’s 3pm kick-offs, Manchester United ran out 4-1 winners over bottom club Fulham, who finished with 10 men at Old Trafford.

Defender Ashley Young put the home side ahead early on and Juan Mata doubled United’s lead after 28 minutes. Belgian frontman Romelu Lukaku added a third just before the break.

Fulham pulled a goal back with a penalty on 67 minutes through Aboubakar Kamara, but the Cottagers were soon reduced to 10 men when midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa collected a second yellow card.

England forward Marcus Rashford scored a fourth for United with seven minutes left.

Ralph Hasenhuttl started his reign as Southampton manager with a 1-0 defeat at Cardiff – which leaves his new side second bottom – after Callum Paterson’s goal on 74 minutes.

Arsenal left it late to beat Huddersfield 1-0 at the Emirates Stadium with an acrobatic goal from Lucas Torreira on 84 minutes, which extended their unbeaten run to 21 games in all competitions.

West Ham came from behind to beat Crystal Palace 3-2 at the London Stadium.

James McArthur put the Eagles in front on six minutes, but the Irons were level three minutes into the second half through Scotland midfielder Robert Snodgrass.

Javier Hernandez put West Ham ahead from close range on 62 minutes.

Before Palace could regroup, they were 3-1 down on 65 minutes as Brazilian Felipe Anderson clipped the ball into the top corner.

Substitute Jeffrey Schlupp’s header gave the Eagles hope with 15 minutes left, but there was to be no dramatic finale.

Burnley moved out of the bottom three with a 1-0 home win over Brighton, with defender James Tarkowski getting what proved a crucial breakthrough five minutes before half-time.