Eden Hazard double gives Chelsea win over West Brom
Stamford Bridge, Premier League - Chelsea 3 (Hazard 25' 71' Moses 63') West Brom 0
The Baggies, who saw Daniel Sturridge limp off early on due to a suspected hamstring injury, made the better start and should have been awarded a penalty when his replacement Jay Rodriguez was brought down by Cesc Fabregas.
And Chelsea made them pay when Olivier Giroud, on his first start for the Blues, set up Hazard who rifled the ball into the corner.
The visitors carved out some good opportunities in the second half but were again left to rue them as Victor Moses doubled the home side’s lead from close range. And they sealed victory when substitute Alvaro Morata set up Hazard for a brilliant strike.
FC Chelsea Eden HazardGetty Images
The result sees Conte’s side climb to fourth place and is a welcome confidence boost ahead of next Tuesday’s clash with Barcelona, while the Baggies remain rooted to the bottom of the table.
Is Giroud the answer to Chelsea's woes? The Frenchman put in an impressive display as the targetman using his strength to link up well with Hazard and Pedro. He had a memorable first start, needing a bandage around his head and being on the receiving end of some crunching challenges.
MAN OF THE MATCH
Eden Hazard (Chelsea): The Belgian was at his clinical best settling the nerves with his opening goal. He got better as the game wore on and killed off the Baggies’ hopes with a well taken strike to make it 3-0.
- 4’ – STURRIDGE INJURY: The striker walks off shaking his head. He appeared to pick up a hamstring problem from a challenge by Azpilcueta.
- 4’ – PENALTY SHOUT! Jay Rodriguez is on and is immediately in the thick of it. He has a shot inside the box which goes wide. He is brought down by Fabregas, who appeared to trip the striker. That should have been a penalty.
- 11’ - WHAT A MISS! Rudiger's woeful header back towards the keeper finds Rodriguez who for some reason decides to shoot first time from outside the box and it trickles wide.
- 18’ - GREAT SAVE! Azpilcueta's low curling cross falls to Zappacosta at the back post and his shot from a yard out is brilliantly blocked by a diving Foster.
- 25’ - GOAL FOR CHELSEA! Hazard hammers the ball into the bottom corner after good link up play with Giroud.
- 57’ - CHANCE! Rondon outmuscles Christensen, who thinks he is fouled, the striker is through on goal but his shot is well saved by Courtois.
- 63’ - GOAL FOR CHELSEA! Fabregas' deflected flick falls nicely for Moses who fires the ball into the net from close range.
- 71’ - GOAL FOR CHELSEA! Brilliant strike from Hazard, collecting Morata's pass and cutting inside before firing the ball into the corner from an acute angle.
- Chelsea have won all four Premier League meetings against West Brom under Antonio Conte without conceding a single goal.
- West Brom haven't beaten Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in any of their last 17 visits in all competitions (D3 L13), since winning 1-0 in the League Cup in November 1983 under Ron Wylie.