Football
Premier League

Liverpool place some non-playing staff on temporary leave

Share this with
Copy
Share this article

Liverpool Anfield

Image credit: Getty Images

ByEurosport
04/04/2020 at 14:26 | Updated 04/04/2020 at 19:38

Liverpool place some non-playing staff on temporary leave due to the coronavirus pandemic, but ensure furloughed employees will receive 100% of their salaries.

  • Rose says players have 'backs against the wall' over pay
  • Burnley face £50m shortfall if the 2019/20 Premier League season is cancelled
Premier League

Liverpool to resume title quest against Everton on June 21

AN HOUR AGO

The Premier League voted to suspend the league indefinitely due to coronavirus on Friday, while Newcastle, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Norwich have all announced they will furlough some non-playing staff.

Furloughed British workers can claim 80% of their wages up to £2,500 a month as part of the government's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which means Liverpool will top up the remaining 20% of salaries for its furloughed staff.

The Merseyside club said in an official statement: "Even prior to the decision on staff furloughing, there was a collective commitment at senior levels of the club - on and off the pitch - with everyone working towards a solution that secures jobs for employees of the club during this unprecedented crisis.

There is ongoing active engagement about the topic of salary deductions during the period matches are not being played to schedule. These discussions are complex and as a result the process is ongoing.

Health secretary Matt Hancock said Premier League players should "take a pay cut and play their part" during the pandemic, while Newcastle United's on-loan England defender Danny Rose says Premier League players feel their "backs are against the wall" over the calls.

The United Kingdom's hospital death toll from the coronavirus rose by 20% to 4,313 at 16:00 GMT on April 3, the health ministry said on Saturday.

Premier League

Premier League returns: schedule announced up until July 2

AN HOUR AGO
Premier League

Man City set to appoint Lillo as Guardiola's assistant - reports

3 HOURS AGO
Related Topics
FootballPremier League
Share this with
Copy
Share this article

Latest News

Football

Quarantine rules leave Serie A in the balance

11 MINUTES AGO

Latest Videos

Transfers

Euro Papers: Man Utd join race for €50m former Arsenal flop

00:01:21

Most popular

Transfers

Why exactly are Barca putting all their eggs in the Lautaro basket? - Euro Papers

YESTERDAY AT 13:44
View more