France players celebrate following their sides victory in the 2018 FIFA World Cup Final between France and Croatia
Image credit: Getty Images
MAN OF THE MATCH
- FRANCE: Lloris 7, Pavard 8, Varane 8, Umtiti 8, Hernandez 8, Pogba 8, Kante 7, Matuidi 7, Griezmann 8, Giroud 7, Mbappe 7. Subs - Fekir 7, Tolisso 7, Nzonzi 7.
- CROATIA: Subasic 7, Vrsaljko 6, Strinic 7, Lovren 6, Vida 6, Rakitic 7, Modric 7, Brozovic 6, Perisic 7, Mandzukic 7, Rebic 6. Subs - Pjaca 7, Kramaric 7.
- 18' GOAL! Griezmann gets the ball swung in, and it takes a brush off the head of someone in there - maybe Mandzukic?
- 28' GOAL! Modric takes the free kick, getting it in towards the back stick, and after four headers bouncing across the face of goal, Perisic just smashes it home from the edge of the box, assisted by a tiny deflection.
- 34' VAR! It's an accidental touch by Perisic, it looks like - but the referee has been called over to the area of Official Review. The referee watched it, started to walk back on the field - and went back and watched it again.
- 36' PENALTY TO FRANCE!
- 38' GOAL! What a calm penalty from Griezmann, sanguinely stroking that low to the keeper's right.
- 59' GOAL! Mbappe goes on a mazy run into the box, Griezmann is there to help him out, Pogba has a shot which is deflected right back at his feet, and his second attempt leaves the net rippling, a fiery left-footed effort.
- 65' GOAL! Lovely mazy run from Hernandez, and he passes the ball to Mbappe, who's been kept so quiet this afternoon. The teenager needs little encouragement to shoot from just outside the D - and he gets the ball into the bottom corner, and again the goalkeeper is left to watch the ball fly past his right hand.
- 69' GOAL! I was literally about to type about France's quiet control at the moment, and then Hugo Lloris fails to deal with a back pass, trying to nick it round Mandzukic and instead only finding the Croatian's right foot. It trickles into the net and that is not good for France.
- Antoine Griezmann's 38th-minute penalty was France's first shot of any kind in this match against Croatia.
- The only team to win a World Cup final having been trailing at half-time was Uruguay against Argentina, in the first ever showpiece in 1930.