Magnussen had initially hoped to have been informed a fortnight ago going into the Singapore Grand Prix, only to discover the team had put the situation on hold.
Team-mate Jolyon Palmer expressed patience with Renault's circumstances, saying that "If I was Renault I would want to be making the best decision for the future" and that the timescale was therefore understandable.
But asked by Autosport if he agreed with Palmer, Magnussen replied: "No. I can't understand it - I find it very easy to take a decision.
Monaco Grand Prix
Leclerc crashes iconic Niki Lauda 1974 Ferrari during 2022 Monaco Historic event
12 HOURS AGO
"It's frustrating not knowing what you are doing next year, so I want to know as soon as possible."
Suggested to Magnussen he was scarred by his experience at McLaren in 2014 when he thought he had a race seat for '15 only for the rug to be pulled from under him, he said: "That's an experience I don't want to go through again.
"I don't think I will go through that again. I think there is going to be a decision sooner rather than later.
"But as I've said before, I'm not going to wait until one week before the last test, for sure not - not even close to that - but I'm sure that's not even necessary."
Magnussen recognises "there are other drivers in the picture as well", with Toro Rosso's Carlos Sainz Jr and Manor-based Mercedes protege Esteban Ocon at Manor on Renault's radar, while a move for Force India's Sergio Perez has all but fallen by the wayside.
There is an option on Renault's side to extend the contracts of Magnussen and Palmer into 2017 without any further negotiation required that Autosport understands expires at midnight on Friday.
So far no discussions have taken place in that regard, though Magnussen added: "I feel I don't need to say anything.
"My conversations are when I'm driving, that's what I do. I drive and do the best possible job I can on track, and let that talk for itself."
Palmer feels Renault is acting within its rights but hopes to know his future before 2016 ends.
"There is no need to decide any quicker than they have to," said Palmer.
"Obviously if you start to hang on until next year - January, February - that's starting to get very late and can end up hurting drivers' careers.
"But for the moment we're still in September, so there's no need for the team to make a decision right now. There are six more races to learn about everything.
"Of course I would love to know now - 100% I'd love someone to tell me 'You've got the drive', but I understand why not.
"Sooner would be nicer. I'd love to know before the end of the year, but it's up to the team.
"I'm not going to start complaining they are telling me too late."
Formula 1
'We might use him' - Ben Sulayem says door open for Masi to return to Formula 1
YESTERDAY AT 20:12
Formula 1
'Issues we have to solve' - Verstappen concerned by reliability of his Red Bull car
11/05/2022 AT 15:10