Daley and Goodfellow claimed a thrilling bronze in the men's 10m platform synchro after needing to perform at the death with their final dive to secure a medal.
GB needed a score of 83.61 to take anything home with pairs from China and the USA having already locked down gold and silver respectively.
Executing one of their stronger dives of the evening - a back 3.5 somersault pike - under huge pressure, they managed a score of 89.64 to just edge Germany by six points for GB's fourth medal of the games on a total score of 444.45.
Earlier in the day, Ed Ling also won bronze in the trap shooting competition at his third appearance at an Olympic Games.
Ling made his Olympic debut in 2004 at the age of 21, and finished 25th, improving by four places in 2012.
But he took silver at last year's World Championships in Grenada, and an excellent display in Rio gave him victory 13-9 over David Kostelecky.
- Great Britain's gymnasts suffered an agonising finale as they slipped to fourth place in the men's team final as Japan won gold. More
- Tom Daley and Daniel Goodfellow of Great Britain claimed bronze in the men's 10m platform synchro. More
- Ed Ling won bronze in the trap shooting competition, Team GB's third medal - and his third appearance at an Olympic Games. More
- Michael Phelps progressed to the 200m butterfly semi-final, edging ever closer to his 20th Olympic gold medal for the United States. More
- Johanna Konta progressed to the third round of the women's singles at the Olympics with a comfortable victory over France's Caroline Garcia. More
- Brazil's Rafaela Silva overcame top seed Sumiya Dorjsuren to win gold in the women's -57kg judo, sending the crowd into joyous celebration of their first Olympic gold as host country. More
- Great Britain cruised into the final of both the men’s and women’s eight in the rowing in style. More
- The five-year unbeaten streak of Britain's rowers Helen Glover and Heather Stanning nearly ended as a spirited Danish duo led them until the last five metres in the women's pair heat. More
- Australia won the first women's rugby sevens Olympic gold medal by beating New Zealand 24-17 in the final at the Deodoro Stadium. More
- Lilly King of the United States won the gold medal in the women's 100 metres breaststroke at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. More
- Sun Yang became the first Chinese swimmer to win the Olympic men's 200 metres freestyle gold medal while Britain's James Guy had to settle for fourth. More
- Katinka Hosszu of Hungary won the women's Olympic 100 metres backstroke to claim her second gold of the Rio Games, edging out Kathleen Baker of the United States. More
All Monday's gold medals
Diving - men's 10m synchro platform - Chen A / Lin Y (China)
Fencing - women's individual sabre - Yana Egorian (Russia)
Gymnastics - men's artistic team - Japan
Judo - men's 73kg - Shohei Ono (Japan)
Judo - women's 57kg - Rafaela Silva (Brazil)
Rugby Sevens - women's final - Australia
Shooting - men's trap - Josip Glasnovic (Croatia)
Shooting - men's 10m air rifle - Niccolo Campriani (Italy)
Swimming - men's 200m freestyle - Sun Yang (China)
Swimming - women's 100m backstroke - Katinka Hosszu (Hungary)
Swimming - men's 100m backstroke - Ryan Murphy (USA)
Swimming - women's 100m breaststroke - Lilly King (USA)
Weightlifting - women's 58kg clean and jerk - Sukanya Srisurat (Thailand)
Going for Gold: How to tackle the kayak slalom
Tom Daley and Daniel Goodfellow of Great Britain claimed bronze in the men's 10m platform synchro in dramatic fashion with a superb final dive.
Ed Ling also won bronze in the trap shooting competition, Team GB's third medal in Rio - and his third appearance at an Olympic Games.
Image credit: Reuters
Great Britain's gymnasts suffered an agonising finale as they slipped to fourth place in the men's team final as Japan won gold.
Johanna Konta progressed to the third round of the women's singles at the Olympics with a comfortable victory over France's Caroline Garcia.
However, Kyle Edmund suffered a disappointing defeat to Japan's Taro Daniel in the second round of the men's singles.
Kyle Edmund lost in the second round of the Olympic competition in Rio
Image credit: PA Sport
Brazil's Rafaela Silva stunned top seed Sumiya Dorjsuren of Mongolia to win gold in the women's -57kg judo, sending the crowd into joyous celebration of their first Olympic gold as host country.
Silva raised her arms to the crowd in triumph as she beat Dorjsuren on a waza-ari, following a pulsating semi-finals victory that went into extra time against Romania's Corina Caprioriu.
Gold for Silva marks a fairytale rise to the Olympic podium from a childhood in Rio's notorious "City of God" favela, and provides redemption for a disappointing London 2012 when she was disqualified in the early rounds for a rule violation.
Image credit: AFP
What went viral?
The papers' reaction to Daley and Goodfellow's bronze medals involved ruthlessly cropping the latter out of the equation:
Oh, and Usain Bolt's appearance at a special - and pretty ridiculous - press conference had everyone talking:
How the stars reacted
Usain Bolt has been trying to flog tickets, using his Twitter page to urge fans to get out and buy tickets:
Tom Daley, ever present on social media, was quick to celebrate with his fans by posting tweets:
Big events on Tuesday
Eventing - team final - 14:00-16:32
Featuring Great Britain's team
Canoeing - C1 men - 17:30-19:48
Featuring GB's David Florence
Eventing - individual show jumping final - 18:00-1856
Featuring GB's William Fox-Pitt
Diving - women's 10m syncro - 20:00-21:00
Featuring GB's Tonia Couch and Sarah Barrow
Gymnastics - women's team final - 20:00-21:55
Featuring Great Britain's team
Swimming - men's 200m butterfly - 02:34-02:45
Featuring Michael Phelps
Swimming - women's 200m individual medley - 3:35-03:50
Featuring GB's Siobhan-Marie O'Connor
Image credit: AFP
Predicted British medallists
David Florence - canoeing C1 men - silver
William Fox-Pitt - individual eventing, show jumping final - bronze
GB team - team eventing - silver
Siobhan-Marie O'Connor - women's 200m individual medley - silver
Source: Gracenote Virtual Medal Table
All today's gold medals
- 16:32 Equestrian - Eventing Team - Open
- 18:56 Equestrian - Eventing Individual - Open
- 19:42 Canoe Slalom C1 - Men
- 20:30 Shooting 25m Pistol - Women
- 20:54 Judo 63kg - Women
- 21:00 Diving 10m Platform Synchro - Women
- 21:10 Weightlifting 63kg - Women
- 21:25 Judo 81kg - Men
- 21:55 Gymnastics - Artistic Team - Women
- 22:05 Fencing Individual Epee - Men
- 00:40 Weightlifting 69kg - Men
- 02:25 Swimming 200m Freestyle - Women
- 02:34 Swimming 200m Butterfly - Men
- 03:35 Swimming 200m Individual Medley - Women
- 03:50 Swimming 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay - Men