The New Zealand Olympic Committee (NZOC) is fully committed to the Tokyo Games this year, with planning progressing for what will be a "vastly different" Olympics due to the coronavirus pandemic, its chief Mike Stanley said on Thursday.
More than 200 athletes are expected to represent New Zealand at the Games, which run from July 23 to August 8, and former rower Stanley said it was the duty of his "athlete-led" organisation to help them achieve their dreams.
"We're fully committed to Tokyo 2020," Stanley said in a statement after the NZOC presented its 2020 annual report.
Olympics
White House announce diplomatic boycott of 2022 Beijing Olympics
YESTERDAY AT 20:09
Planning... is progressing well with organisers and the Japanese authorities committed to hosting a different but still safe and successful Games.
"We have a high level of confidence in the work of Japanese authorities supported by the World Health Organisation to plan for and put in place protective measures. Most importantly, our athletes have trained thousands of hours for this."
Stanley, who represented New Zealand at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, said the NZOC is fully aware of the need for effective countermeasures against Covid-19.
New Zealand last month began administering vaccinations to athletes ahead of their departure.
"In addition to measures put in place by Tokyo 2020, the NZOC will have its own health protocols to prioritise and protect the New Zealand team environment," Stanley said.
"It's fantastic we're underway with vaccination for the team and are most grateful to the New Zealand Government for their support with this, managed isolation and quarantine, and general security and health advice and monitoring."
Beijing 2022
US diplomats to boycott 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing
YESTERDAY AT 19:33
Olympics
Warholm and Thompson-Herah named World Athletes of the Year
01/12/2021 AT 22:42