Ronnie O’Sullivan flies into second round in China
Ronnie O’Sullivan charged into the second round at the China Open with a 5-0 rout of Gareth Allen.
The Rocket was not at his flowing best, but breaks of 64, 59 and 51 helped him to an easy win.
O’Sullivan will next face Mark Joyce, a 5-4 winner against Fraser Patrick.
China's number one Ding Junhui enjoyed a 5-0 win over Paul Davison to progress to a meeting with compatriot Zhou Yuelong in the second round.
Ding enjoyed breaks of 51, 51, 52, 55 and 138, the second highest break of the event.
“My form has been good since the first match and I played well again today. My opponent did not give me too much pressure and he wasn’t playing well," said Ding.
World number one Mark Selby crushed Alfie Burden 5-0, while defending champion Judd Trump posted two centuries as he downed Ashley Hugill 5-1.
Trump raced out of the blocks with a break of 108 to take the opener before Hugill levelled the scores by sealing the second frame. Trump regained the lead with a run of 105 in the third before cruising through the next three frames to secure a resounding win.
World number one Mark Selby made amends for a slow start in his qualifying match against Adam Stefanow on Monday by steamrolling Alfie Burden 5-0, including breaks of 88, 104, 95, 87 and 74.
Elsewhere, there were wins for Stuart Bingham, Shaun Murphy and John Higgins.
Higgins was a 5-3 victor over Ian Burns, Matthew Stevens defeated Alan McManus 5-1 and 2016 finalist Ricky Walden beat wild card Niu Zhuang 5-1.
Michael Holt and Kyren Wilson secured 5-3 successes over Jimmy White and Xiao Guodong, respectively, and there were also wins for Martin Gould, Rory McLeod, Dan Wells, Stephen Maguire, Andrew Higginson, Martin O'Donnell and Li Hang.
China Open first round latest results
- Martin Gould 5-1 Robbie Williams
- Rory McLeod 5-2 Liang Wenbo
- Jimmy White 3-5 Michael Holt
- Ian Burns 1-5 John Higgins
- Kyren Wilson 5-3 Xiao Guodong
- Daniel Wells 5-3 Jamie Cope
- Alan McManus 1-5 Matthew Stevens
- Alfie Burden 0-5 Mark Selby
- Judd Trump 5-1 Ashley Hugill
- Gareth Allen 0-5 Ronnie O'Sullivan
- Paul S Davison 0-5 Ding Junhui
- Aditya Mehta 4-5 Li Hang
- Stephen Maguire 5-3 Fergal O'Brien
- Andrew Higginson 5-3 David Gilbert
- Niu Zhuang 1-5 Ricky Walden
- Jimmy Robertson 0-5 Martin O'Donnell