Mark Allen was forced into a final-frame decider against 15-year-old rising star Iulian Boiko before overcoming the Ukrainian 4-3 to reach the last-32 of the Gibraltar Open - but only after a big helping hand from the snooker gods.
Boiko raced into a 2-0 lead with two scrappy frames before Allen clawed one back. The teenager was not to be flustered though as he bounced back by snatching the fourth.
‘I’ve taken snooker by storm’ – Trump equals Williams' record after latest triumph
With Allen 3-1 down to the world number 119, he rattled off two frames in a row with a stunning 126 century which he followed up with a swift sixth frame, taking it 61-22 after Boiko missed a straightforward red.
And the 35-year-old Irishman could breathe a sigh of relief in the final-frame decider. Boiko missed the black to force it to a re-spot and Allen remarkably fluked it in to seal the victory.
Friday, March 5
- Iulian Boiko 3-4 Mark Allen
- Aaron Hill 2-4 Jamie Clarke
- Shaun Murphy 4-1 Luca Brecel
- Pang Junxu 4-2 Anthony McGill
- Lei Peifan v Dylan Emery
- David Gilbert 4-3 Jimmy Robertson
- Lu Ning 4-0 Jamie O'Neill
- Rod Lawler 3-4 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
- Liang Wenbo v Robert Milkins
- Mark Williams v Soheil Vahedi
- Oliver Lines v Fraser Patrick
- Ben Woollaston v Ali Carter
- Jimmy White v Stuart Bingham
- Elliot Slessor v Martin Gould
- Alan McManus v Zhao Jianbo
- Xiao Guodong v Jamie Wilson
- Alexander Ursenbacher v Mitchell Mann
- Joe Perry v Ricky Walden
- Kyren Wilson v Matthew Selt
- Chris Wakelin v Mark Selby
HOW TO WATCH THE EVENT
The 2021 Gibraltar Open is live on Eurosport.
You can watch it on eurosport.co.uk and the Eurosport app.
Trump: Lisowski will be 'unstoppable' after he wins elusive trophy
'He is still my mate' - Lisowski won't fall out with Trump despite another final loss