Mark Selby and Marco Fu reach last eight at Players Championship
Mark Selby was a 5-2 winner over Ryan Day in the first round of the Players Championship with Marco Fu enjoying a 5-1 success against Anthony McGill at Venue Cymru in Llandudno.
World champion and world number one Selby opened with breaks of 91 and 75 to move 2-0 clear only for Day to restore parity at 2-2 boosted by a run of 72 in the third frame.
Selby restored his two-frame lead at 4-2 with breaks of 50 and 87, but home favourite Day again replied with knocks of 67 and 88 forcing the match to a deciding frame.
Selby remained focused as Day failed to score a point with the Leicester player maintaining his trademark composure to progress to the quarter-finals.
He will face world number nine Fu in the last eight after the Hong Kong player eased to victory over Scotsman McGill.
The Scottish Open champion rolled in 94, 53 and 56 with McGill's soliary frame coming via an 87 break in the first frame.
In Tuesday's late matches, world number three Judd Trump recorded the tournament's highest break of 132 as he defeated Mark King 5-2 and will next meet Ronnie O'Sullivan in the last eight, while Australian Neil Robertson coasted past Barry Hawkins 5-0.
The 16-man tournament, with a £125,000 first prize, is the penultimate event before the seeding cut-off falls for the World Championship.
Players Championship first round
- Mark Selby (1) 5-4 Ryan Day (16)
- Marco Fu (8) 5-1 Anthony McGill (9)
- Ding Junhui (5) v John Higgins (12)
- Stuart Bingham (4) 1-5 Anthony Hamilton (13)
- Barry Hawkins (3) 0-5 v Neil Robertson (14)
- Ali Carter (6) v Shaun Murphy (11)
- Ronnie O’Sullivan (7) 5-1 Liang Wenbo (10)
- Judd Trump (2) 5-2 Mark King (15)
Players Championship quarter-finals
- Mark Selby (1) v Marco Fu (8)
- Ding (5) or Higgins (12) v Anthony Hamilton (13)
- Neil Robertson (14) v Carter (6) v Murphy (11)
- Ronnie O'Sullivan (7) v Judd Trump (2)