Snooker news - John Higgins edges out Mark Selby to set up Ronnie O’Sullivan clash
Former world champion John Higgins edged out the world number one Mark Selby 6-4 on Wednesday to set up a mouth-watering quarter-final against Ronnie O’Sullivan.
Higgins, took three of the opening four frames, notching half-century breaks of 68 and 58.
However Selby responded in style as he rattled in breaks of 67 and 76 and then a 121 to take a lead.
He was then undone as two more half-centuries put Higgins one away from victory and he closed out to reach the next round.
In that quarter-final he will face fellow Class of 92 member O’Sullivan.
Higgins has been really struggling for form this season and he has previously admitted that he has had issues finding motivation at times.
Gilbert opened up with a break of 86 before Bingham responded well, winning three frames in a row.
The 2015 world champion knocked in breaks of 60, 71 and 68 to go 3-1 ahead.
The pair then exchanged breaks as Bingham did more than enough to secure his place in the quarter-finals.
He will face Mark Allen for a place in the final four.
In the first quarter-final Masters champion Judd Trump came from 4-1 down to beat close friend Jack Lisowski 6-5.
Trump knocked in two tons, including a masterful one in the decider as he completed a sensational turnaround to reach the semi-finals.
He will face the winner of the match between Neil Robertson and Mark Williams.
PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS
- Mark Allen 6-2 Stephen Maguire
- Stuart Bingham 6-4 David Gilbert
- Ronnie O'Sullivan 6-4 Barry Hawkins
- John Higgins 6-4 Mark Selby
- Neil Robertson 6-3 Joe Perry
- Mark Williams 6-2 Ali Carter
- Jack Lisowski 6-4 Kyren Wilson
- Judd Trump 6-0 Jimmy Robertson
- Judd Trump 6-5 Jack Lisowski
- Neil Robertson v Mark Williams
- Mark Allen v Stuart Bingham
- Ronnie O'Sullivan v John Higgins