Snooker news - Terrific Judd Trump makes short work of Jimmy Robertson with 6-0 whitewash
Judd Trump delivered a masterful performance at the Players Championship, beating Jimmy Robertson 6-0 in the first round.
Trump, started 2019 off by winning The Masters, began proceedings with a century break in the opening frame and followed up with breaks of 71, 50 and 104 to take a four-frame lead into the interval.
And it didn't take Trump long to finish the job, taking the final two frames to cruise to victory in emphatic fashion, ending proceedings with a break of 115 - his highest of an excellent individual performance.
Earlier on Tuesday, world champion Mark Williams was at his fizzing best as he beat Ali Carter 6-2. The Welshman produced two big breaks, one of 118 and another of 131, en-route to an impressive win.
Williams' entertaining style was on full display as the Welsh Potting Machine finished with a shot time of just 19 seconds across the eight-frame encounter.
Neil Robertson also picked up a win on Tuesday, beating Joe Perry 6-3. The pair alternated frame wins to make it 2-2, but breaks of 107 and 101 saw Robertson take control as he turned on the class after the interval to win the best-of-11 match with two frames to spare.
And in the final match of the evening, Jack Lisowksi survived a Kyren Wilson fightback to win 6-4.
Players Championship Results
Monday March 4
- Mark Allen (1) 6-2 Stephen Maguire (16)
- Ronnie O’Sullivan (5) 6-4 Barry Hawkins (12)
Tuesday March 5
- Neil Robertson (3) 6-3 Joe Perry (14)
- Mark Williams (6) 6-2 Ali Carter (11)
- Judd Trump (2) 6-0 Jimmy Robertson (15)
- Kyren Wilson (7) 4-6 Jack Lisowski (10)
Wednesday March 6
- David Gilbert (8) v Stuart Bingham (9)
- Mark Selby (4) v John Higgins (13)
- Jack Lisowski (2) v Judd Trump (10)