Magical Ronnie O'Sullivan dismisses David Grace in 44 minutes to reach last 16
Ronnie O'Sullivan continued his inexorable march towards a fifth ranking event title of the season with a 4-0 butchering of the unfortunate David Grace in the Welsh Open last 32.
The five-times world champion produced another green baize masterclass with breaks of 96, 133, 63 and 100 helping him coast past world number 67 Grace, who did little more than sit and watch from his seat.
He will face Mike Dunn on Thursday night as he bids to reach the quarter-finals of a tournament he has won four times.
John Higgins was a 4-0 winner against Sam Craigie as the four-times world champion enjoyed knocks of 63 and 71 to progress.
Craigie only contributed 28 points in defeat. Higgins will face Jack Lisowski or Nigel Bond and could meet O'Sullivan in the quarter-finals on Friday.
Matthew Stevens also eased himself into the last 16 with a dominant 4-1 win over 2015 world champion Stuart Bingham in Cardiff.
The Welshman opened with a break of 76 and finished with 79 in ending Bingham's hopes at the Motorpoint Arena.
He will face Yan Bingtao who overcame 2002 world champion Peter Ebdon 4-1 for a place in Friday's quarter-finals.
Judd Trump's conqueror Noppon Saengkham continued his progress with a 4-2 win over Craig Steadman.
LAST 32 SCHEDULE/RESULTS
- Craig Steadman 2-4 Noppon Saengkham
- Fang Xiongman 2-4 Barry Hawkins
- Gerard Greene 3-4 John J Astley
- James Wattana 3-4 Kyren Wilson
- Liam Highfield 1-4 Chris Wakelin
- Mike Dunn 4-2 Xu Si
- Stuart Bingham 1-4 Matthew Stevens
- Yan Bingtao 4-1 Peter Ebdon
- Ian Burns 4-2 Akani Songsermsawad
- Jack Lisowski 3-4 Nigel Bond
- Mark Allen 3-4 Gary Wilson
- Ronnie O'Sullivan 4-0 David Grace
- Sam Craigie 0-4 John Higgins
- Yu Delu 4-0 Ben Woollaston
- Martin Gould 4-2 Mark Williams
- Robbie Williams 3-4 Liang Wenbo