Shaun Murphy coasted past Zak Surety in the first round of the Welsh Open.
He secured a 4-1 win in a high-scoring match from both players. Murphy grabbed 63, 107 and then 119 in the winning frame, with two 60-plus breaks for his opponent.
Ding Junhui beat Lu Haotian in a 4-1 win in the first round of the Welsh Open.
World Championship LIVE: Allen reaches second round, Williams also through
Fellow Chinese player Pang Junxu defeated Allan Taylor 4-0 in the day's first match.
'Brilliant! One of the best in the game from long range' - Murphy's gorgeous red
- Why Welsh Open is a unique symbol of snooker greatness
- Welsh Open live
- Welsh snooker legend Mountjoy dies ay 78
Veteran Joe Perry beat Chang Bingyu 4-3, Elliot Slessor was a 4-2 winner over amateur Ben Fortey, and David Lilley squeezed by Andy Hicks 4-3.
Judd Trump, John Higgins, Mark Selby and Stephen Maguire will all be in action later today.
Mark Davis beat Lee Walker 4-1, with a third frame that lasted 66 minutes 40 seconds, the third longest of the season so far.
German Simon Lichetenberg defeated Riley Parsons 4-2. His countryman Lukas Kleckers fell 4-0 to Matthew Selt.
Joe O'Connor won one of the first matches of the afternoon with a 4-1 win over Liang Wenbo. Home favourite Matthew Stevens whitewashed James Cahill 4-0.
Andrew Higginson defeated Eden Sharav 4-2 while Xiao Guodong defeated Ukraine's Iulian Boiko.
- Li Hang 0-4 Martin O'Donnell
- Allan Taylor 0-4 Pang Junxu
- Ding Junhui 4-1 Lu Haotian
- Joe Perry 4-3 Chang Bingyu
- Elliot Slessor 4-2 Ben Fortey (a)
- David Lilley 4-3 Andy Hicks
- Mark Davis 4-1 Lee Walker
- Matthew Selt 4-0 Lukas Kleckers
- Joe O'Connor 4-1 Liang Wenbo
- Matthew Stevens 4-0 James Cahill
- Andrew Higginson 4-2 Eden Sharav
- Xiao Guodong 4-0 Iulian Boiko
Maguire holds off Murphy fightback to secure place in second round
Maguire mouths expletives after leaving gap for Murphy to pot at the World Championships
Share this article