Rafa Nadal withdraws from Queen's
World number one Rafa Nadal has pulled out of the Queen's Championship saying that he needs to listen to his body.
Nadal, 32, comes into the grass court season off a terrific clay court period that ended with him winning his 11th French Open crown, beating Dominic Thiem in the final.
He had been expected to use Queen's as his primary preparation for Wimbledon but has now had to pull out.
"Queen’s is a great event, I have happy memories of winning the title in 2008 and I wanted to come back this year,” said Nadal. "But it has been a very long clay court season for me with great results.
The news comes as a blow for the organisers after the good news that three-time Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic had accepted a late wild card to play at Queen's for the first time in eight years.
A statement on the tournament's website read: "Rafael Nadal has today informed us of his decision to withdraw from the Fever-Tree Championships, that starts on Monday.
Tournament Director, Stephen Farrow said “We are obviously disappointed that Rafa has decided that he is unable to play this year, but we wish him well and hope to see him on our courts in the future,
"At the same time, we are thrilled to have added Novak Djokovic to a line-up that already includes so many of the best players in the world. We remain on track for a fantastic week of tennis at the Fever-Tree Championships and we can’t wait to get started."