After weeks of complaints from some players, two of tennis's biggest names have come out with vocal support for the quarantine measures they have been put in prior to the Australian Open.
About 1,200 participants were allowed to fly to Australia for the summer of tennis as thousands of its citizens are unable to return home due to travel restrictions.
Players are currently in 14 days of isolation as a protective measure. Most of them are allowed five hours outside their rooms each day to train for the year's first Grand Slam, which has been delayed by three weeks, but 72 of them have been confined to their rooms in Melbourne after passengers on the charter flights that carried them to Australia tested positive to the virus.
‘She needs to be selfish!’ – Wilander tells Raducanu not to care what people think
Serena Williams has travelled to Australia with three-year-old daughter Olympia, and told an American TV show that the strict protocols were difficult but justified.
"It's super, super strict, but it's really good," the 23-time Grand Slam winner said on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert.
"It's insane and super intense but it's super good because after that you can have a new normal like we were used to this time last year in the United States.
"It's definitely hard with a three-year-old to be in the hotel all day, but it's worth it because you want everyone to be safe at the end of the day."
- Thiem: I had a lot of time to think about Australian Open final defeat
- 'The end is in sight' - Britain’s Konta craving exit from quarantine
Francesca Jones: Proving doubters wrong and reaching Australian Open
However, Williams is in quarantine in Adelaide with some of the other top-ranked players, where they are preparing for an exhibition event - and some of those in Melbourne have suggested that those stars have received preferential treatment.
But Rafa Nadal says that they are privileged to be able to compete at the Australian Open during the pandemic at all - and urged fellow participants to have a wider perspective of the strict health measures in the country.
The Spaniard said he felt "very sorry" for those in hard isolation.
"But when we came here we knew that the measures were going to be strict because we knew that the country is doing great with the pandemic," the 34-year-old told CNN.
"It's normal to complain in some way but on the other hand when you have little bit wider perspective of what's going on ... you see how many are dying around the world.
"You see how many people are losing their father, their mum, without having the chance to say goodbye. It's a real thing, that's what's happening in my country for example. Close people to me are suffering this situation."
Australia has recorded more than 22,000 cases and 909 deaths from the novel coronavirus. It had no new local cases for the 10th straight day on Wednesday.
After the 14-day isolation, players will be allowed to train normally and then compete at tune-up events next week.
"The world is suffering in general, so we can't complain," Nadal added. "You have to stay a little more positive. I feel that we are privileged people today, having the chance to keep doing our jobs."
'He gave up on the point' - Zverev cracks up after opponent's audacious net winner
Osaka blasts her way into next round after easy win over Osorio
Share this article