US Open 2018: Women's Round-Up: Angelique Kerber escapes Johanna Larsson upset
Wimbledon champion Angelique Kerber overcame a late stutter in her second-round match against Sweden's Johanna Larsson, coming through 6-2, 5-7, 6-4.
The Swede put up some dogged resistance, breaking the fourth seed's serve three times to take the second set.
But the German eventually held her serve to win on her third match point.
Fifth seed Petra Kvitova overcame a stern test from world number 90 Wang Yafan to make it into the US Open third round, 7-5, 6-3.
The Czech took an early 4-1 lead in the first set before allowing her opponent back into the match, but managed to turn it round.
"She played an incredible match today," Kvitova said afterwards. "There was a moment when I lost myself in the first set and she broke me. I was down and trying to fight back."
Petra Kvitova celebrates against Wang Yafan at the US OpenGetty Images
Kvitova then took that momentum into the second set, which was a much easier task, and set up a third-round clash with the in-form Aryna Sabalenka, who beat former world number two Vera Zvonareva in straight sets.
Last year's runner-up Madison Keys had a cool win against compatriot Bernarda Pera, cruising through in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, while 2017 French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko fought back from a set down to beat home favourite Taylor Townsend 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
- Lesia Tsurenko def. No. 2 Caroline Wozniacki, 6-4, 6-2
- No. 4 Angelique Kerber def. Johanna Larsson, 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
- No. 5 Petra Kvitova def. Yafan Wang, 7-5, 6-3
- No. 6 Caroline Garcia def. Monica Puig, 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
- No. 10 Jelena Ostapenko def. Taylor Townsend, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Aliaksandra Sasnovich def. No. 11 Daria Kasatkina, 6-2, 7-6(3)
- No. 13 Kiki Bertens def. Francesca Di Lorenzo, 6-2, 6-1
- No. 14 Madison Keys def. Bernarda Pera, 6-4, 6-1
- No. 20 Naomi Osaka def. Julia Glushko, 6-2, 6-0
- No. 22 Maria Sharapova def. Sorana Cirstea, 6-2, 7-5
- No. 26 Aryna Sabalenka def. Vera Zvonareva, 6-3, 7-6(9-7)
- No. 29 Dominika Cibulkova def. Su-Wei Hsieh, 7-6(3), 4-6, 6-4
- No. 30 Carla Suarez Navarro def. Kristina Mladenovic, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
- Katerina Siniakova def. Ajla Tomljanovic, 6-3, 6-7(3), 7-6(4)
- Aleksandra Krunic def. Kirsten Flipkens, 6-3, 6-1
- Marketa Vondrousova def. Eugenie Bouchard, 6-4, 6-3