Johanna Konta still not confirmed for WTA Finals as Caroline Garcia wins again
Johanna Konta’s hopes of reaching the WTA Finals in Singapore remain in the balance after Caroline Garcia reached the China Open quarter-finals.
France’s Garcia beat compatriot Alize Cornet 6-2 6-1 to book a clash with Elina Svitolina, who eliminated the other Finals hopeful Elena Vesnina 6-2 7-5.
World number 15 Garcia must reach the semi-finals to keep her hopes of sneaking into the season-ending tournament alive.
Konta is trapped in an awful run of five straight defeats, but holds the final qualification spot for the eight-player finale.
The British number one has pulled out of next week’s Hong Kong Open, leaving her relying on others – and potentially points in Moscow – to keep her spot.
The WTA Finals start on October 22.
China Open women's results
- 3-Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) beat Elena Vesnina (Russia) 6-2 7-5
- Barbora Strycova (Czech Republic) beat Daria Gavrilova (Australia) 6-0 6-4
- 9-Jelena Ostapenko (Latvia) beat Peng Shuai (China) 3-0 (Peng S retired)
- Sorana Cirstea (Romania) beat 4-Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 6-1 7-5
- Caroline Garcia (France) beat Alize Cornet (France) 6-2 6-1